Hello and Welcome

Welcome to my Squidoo blog, where I share my experiences, tips and thoughts on writing online (mostly on the Squidoo platform). You can use the links on the right hand side to explore the places (and profiles) I write under.

Friday, 26 October 2012

My Traffic Strategy - Get Natural Backlinks

Traffic is always one of the big questions that pops up in the Squidoo world and recent discussions on the Squidoo forums has reminded me just how hard it is to grow your traffic in the early days.

Currently, I've got no shortage of traffic (100k+ weekly unique visits) but I didn't get this far by chance, its been a long and hard road but I've simplified it for new Squids on my Rank First On Google lens. It comes down to three things; Keywords > Content > Backlinks

If your struggling with keywords I recommend the Squidoo Step by Step Guide, for this post I'm going to consider content as I believe most people look over this step.

Google is always pushing this point saying that quality content always wins out and it is slowly becoming more and more true as Google tweak their algorithm to help the 'cream rise to the top' (just look at the Penguin and Panda updates).

So how does Google pick up on good quality content? Its called, natural link building and it happens when you make good quality content and have people linking to your website because its the best or most interesting on your topic.

You need to make your content the best, give people a reason to show it off and build links for you. Don't cover the same old topics without fresh information or insight. There are thousands of carbon copy pages on weight loss, money saving tips and even about writing quality content for natural backlinks.

If you want some Google ranking love and ultimately traffic, be unique. Why are you more qualified then the next person to deliver the information? And what new information or angle do you bring to the table?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    You're right on to include Google Panda in your discussion about content. I just wrote a Squidoo lens (published October 28th) about that bear (you can find it easily on my Aunt-Mollie profile page – look for the panda picture).

    Personally, I'm glad Google rolled out this new series of algorithm changes because it does a lot to separate the wheat from the chaff in the search engine results.

    If you think my lens might be valuable for your readership here, post a link to it!

    Your success on Squidoo is humongous! Are you considering journalism as a full-time career?

    All the best,
    Aunt Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great coverage of the Panda topic, for those reading the lens is located here: http://www.squidoo.com/the-google-panda

    I have considered turning my online ventures (Squidoo, Niche Websites & YouTube) into a full-time career but not journalism in itself.

    ReplyDelete